Friday, November 14, 2008

10 day Challenge

I have heard a lot of people talking about eliminating sugar/processed foods/dessert, etc... the last few days working out in the gym and my first question to them was 'Why now?" Why would you set yourself up for failure when the Holidays are right around the corner?  Why would you try to eliminate so many things at once and just make yourself angry about it?  Why would you make yourself feel like a failure when you go to Thanksgiving dinner and enjoy for a split second the mashed potatoes, the stuffing, the pumpkin pie that you only see once a year and now after putting it into your mouth the satisfaction of eating it is taken over by guilt because you just 'cheated' on your commitment to your fellow 'eliminators'.  

So, I present a challenge.  A 10 day challenge that I feel is achievable.  The challenge will start on Monday November 17th and end Wednesday 26th (the day before Thanksgiving)  No simple sugars for 10 days.  What does that mean?  No candy, no cookies, no brownies, no white rice, no potatoes, no white bread.  If it doesn't have any nutritional value other then calories, we don't eat it.  So, instead we eat whole grains, fruits, lean proteins and lot's of vegetables until Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving we can eat whatever we want and not feel guilty about it.  Enjoy all the food that presents itself once  a year and enjoy!  We will be successful as a group, who's in?


6 comments:

Feng said...

Me! Day 2 and going strong! This is an awesome challenge.

Unknown said...

I'm in Melissa! Fall is usually the toughest time of the year for me to shun those things. Thanks for the challenge!

Unknown said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the guy in the cubical directly across the isle from me at work keeps bins full of fun sized candy bars...you know, reeses, snickers, Hershey's chocolates...

...must...resist... :-)

Melissa Gerharter said...

Ah...temptations! Yes, that is hard. The key is to not even eat one! Otherwise, it just makes it that much harder! 10 days that is all I am asking for...

Sandy said...

Okay, clarification, please. I was trying to research "whole wheat flour" since that's what is the main ingredient in my mini-bagels. All of the websites I found say that "whole wheat flour" uses the whole grain and is considered whole grain. Help, I want to understand how to make better choices with whole grain bread. My label for the mini-bagels: cal. 110/1 g fat (not saturated)/Fiber 3 g/sugar 3 g/protein 5 g. Main ingredient is whole wheat flour (not to be confused with wheat flour ;o{) and it includes wheat bran and wheat gluten. Is this an acceptable product on the 10-day challenge?

Patricia L. Korican said...

So are fruits & juices ok? What about the 7 seed bread at Zingermans that is whole wheat but made with white flour according to them. They told me the only whole wheat bread is the honey wheat there.